Contoured Restrictions

Contoured Restrictions
Contoured Restrictions

Wednesday 25 April 2012

National Portrait Gallery- Lucian Freud Portraits


National Portrait Gallery- Lucian Freud Portraits
Visited: 18/04/2012

I traveled to The National Portrait Gallery on Wednesday 18th April with Eleanor Osmond. I had been to a few exhibitions here before, but on this visit the grandure of the location suited the collections of paintings that we were there to see. 

Around each painting stood at least ten people, some looking on there own and others stood discussing their take on the painting in question. I enjoyed hearing what they had to say. Upon entering we received a Exhibition guide telling us about the paintings and Freud himself, chose too look around first then go again and read the blurb with each painting. This allowed me to cast my own thoughts on what I saw before knowing the story.

As I'm not a painter, I had only ever see Lucian Freud's painting in books and online before, thinking that they were beautiful deptictions on himself, his friends and his wife. That was true, however upon seeing the painting up close I was surprised to see how textured and lumpy they are on the surface, especially knowing they are paintings in oil paint.

I enjoyed looking and learning. I hope that I will try painting again next year. The work that I saw in this exhibition will influence me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment