Contoured Restrictions

Contoured Restrictions
Contoured Restrictions

Tuesday 24 January 2012

GESAMTKUNSTWERK New Art From Germany- Sattchi Gallery

GESAMTKUNSTWERK New Art From Germany- Sattchi Gallery
Visited: 20/01/2012


The art of the 24 artists from or based in Germany presented here provokes a reassessment of the 19th-century ideal of the Gesamtkunstwerk, which can be translated as a total, universal art work, or a synthesis of different art forms into one all-embracing unique genre. 


I really enjoyed moving though each of the galleries within the Saatchi and taking on the challenge of understanding the pieces. I did find many of the works complex to view, but this was certainly a good thing! 


The sculpture by both Isa Genzken and Alexandra Bircken fascinated me, I took many notes and sketches directly from the work. 


Isa Genzken




Alexandra Birchen


I definitely feel that the workshop we had with David Kefford (in semester A) helped my understanding of this 'Found object art' and has fed into my practise. 






The rooms were lit accordingly to the presents in the room. Jovial subjects were bright, and serious subjects were dark and intense. Certainly worth seeing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment